Notifications
Clear all

Can a shared node have different value when probed while postprocessing?

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@shrikant_panchal)
Barista

Let's consider a corner node, which is shared by more than one mesh element. If we probe on each element one by one, is it acceptable that the same node(shared one) can have different values? If yes, then what should be the acceptance criteria(like tolerance value) for those values?

Note: I am considering here that Nastran solver calculates an average value.

5 Replies

Negative Volume
Admin
(@negativevolume)
CEO

I’m not quite sure what you are asking here. By values are you talking about nodal coordinates or are you asking about element quality?

4 Replies
(@shrikant_panchal)

Barista

@negativevolume

Sorry, I forgot to mention, here I wanted to say nodal values of Von-Mises stress, displacement, etc.

Negative Volume
Admin
(@negativevolume)

CEO

@shrikant_panchal

Well if they are two nodes at the same coordinate location but are referenced by two different parts, then yes, you can have different values for displacement, stress ect. because a primary factor for these things is the material of the part. 

(@shrikant_panchal)

Barista

@negativevolume

Okay, Thanks!
Considering this, if we take a particular node shared by two different elements on adjacent faces of same part/body and when probed separately, will it show two distinct values(of course within some acceptable tolerance)? I mean, if I probe on an element from Face-1, check the value at each node of that element and then probe on Face-2 and do the same, in this case, is it possible to get two distinct values for the same(shared) node?

Negative Volume
Admin
(@negativevolume)

CEO

@shrikant_panchal

No if a single node is shared by two elements the node cannot have two separate  motions. The motion of the simulation is the nodes moving, not the elements. So 1 node can only have a single displacement.

Share: