How to determine th...

Notifications
Clear all

How to determine the optimal mesh size for a model with more than two parts?

7 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
csuznxg
Topic starter
(@csuznxg)
Paid Intern
Hi all,
Could someone tell me how to determine the optimal mesh size for a model with more than two parts?
When I making a mesh sensitivity analysis for a drilling simulation (two parts),I kept constant mesh size for the bit model, and change the mesh size of the rock model. When the results (contact force) reached convergence, I regard it as an optimal mesh size for this simulation.
However, for a model with more than three parts, how to handle it? 

6 Replies

Negative Volume
Admin
(@negativevolume)
CEO

Hi @csuznxg

I apologize for missing this topic. Did you find a procedure for this that worked for you?

5 Replies
csuznxg
(@csuznxg)

Paid Intern

@negativevolume Thank you for your reply. Actually, I think I didn't get an effective means yet. Someone told me a global mesh sensitivity analysis could work for this. For me, I keep a constant mesh size for those parts not very important and just refine the mesh of the part I interested in.

Negative Volume
Admin
(@negativevolume)

CEO

@csuznxg Got it. But yeah, what you are currently doing is the "easiest" way around this for the short term. However, if you ever have to do a parametric study or something similar then I'm sure you wouldn't want to do manual refinement every time. 

csuznxg
(@csuznxg)

Paid Intern

@negativevolumeAny tricks for this?

Negative Volume
Admin
(@negativevolume)

CEO

@csuznxg I can only imagine that LS-Opt would be the way to go. Here is something that may or may not be helpful for you in the future. I've never used LS-Opt myself but have worked with people who do frequently. I believe it can be used for mesh optimization. 

https://www.lsoptsupport.com/howtos/integrating-pre-processor/ls-prepost

csuznxg
(@csuznxg)

Paid Intern

@negativevolumeThank you so much for this. I will check it.

Share: