What may be the cau...

Notifications
Clear all

What may be the cause for "forrtl: severe (157): Program Exception - access violation" error? How can it be addressed?

22 Posts
7 Users
1 Likes
Negative Volume
Admin
(@negativevolume)
CEO

Okay so I assume you've tried using the default NCPU and Memory values as well. What is your simulation? Are there any contacts? What type of contacts are there? Are your material properties realistic? Are there any values missing? 

Feel free to send me the .k file if it's a reasonably sized model via email if you want me to check it:

contact@feassistant.com

Negative Volume
Admin
(@negativevolume)
CEO

So I opened up your file and there are quite a few issues probably causing your problem. 

First your *Control_termination endtim is the total time for the simulation time. As in if the event you are trying to simulate is 200 ms then 200 would be you endtim. Assuming that your units are in ms. 

The dt value in your *Database cards determines how frequently that data is written out. Think of it like the frequency of a sensor output. Right now you have this and the endtim of your simulation at 10ms which would output 1 data point from your simulation, probably not what you want. A good general rule of thumb is to output ~1000 points of data per simulation, so if your sim was 200ms long, your dt for you *Database cards would be 0.2. 

*Database_binary_d3plot is similar, but its visual data. So the dt here is saving 1 visual "frame" of your simulation. I would generally keep this around 50 frames, so if your sim is 200ms, make this dt=4.

The other big issue you have is that the format of the *Contact cards is all messed up. There is a *Contact card title within the card itself. The title of the *Contact or anything else should not have * within it. You can call the contacts anything like: "belt to body contact." This formatting issue is pretty prevalent across your file. So just go through and check your titles. 

While you are getting your model to run, remove any unecessary *control/*database cards except for *Control_termination and *Database_binary_d3plot. 

Since you are just starting out, I would also suggest removing the following once you get the model to run: *control_accuracy, *control_bulk_viscosity, *control_energy, *control_hourglass, *control_output, *control_shell. Unless there is a specific reason and unless you know why you are using these, they are not needed. *Control cards set the default for many of LS-Dyna components and this can really cause issues if you aren't careful. A good practice is to set *Hourglass for each part or commonly modeled parts. 

This video should be able to walk through and show you the basics of setting up a simulation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kglghG6WkMw&t=1s

I hope you can get it running, let me know if you have any further questions!

Negative Volume
Admin
(@negativevolume)
CEO

Hi @Erick, were you ever able to get your simulation working? I know that you were still having issues with this the last time we spoke. 

(@djsburra)
Student

Hi folks,

I'm having this same problem even with example files from the internet.

I am trying to run an implicit model.

I have tried to run it on two different PCs with identical results.

As above I found changing memory or NCPU made no difference.

Also included in the zipfile is an example of an error message.

1 Reply
Negative Volume
Admin
(@negativevolume)

CEO

@djsburra I know that this is a frustrating issue. I believe that it is primarily due to some issue within the model. What version of LS-Dyna are you using? As of 9/24/2020, v10.2 is one of the newest & stable releases so you could always try to change your version if possible?

Since you are running implicit, there are even more factors to consider. I will take a look and let you know if I find anything. But in the meantime, you should continue to debug on your end. 

Also, you said that you are getting this issue even when you run example models? Like from here?

https://www.dynaexamples.com/introduction/examples-manual  

(@djsburra)
Student

@negativevolume

Thanks for the response. I have tried these same implicit models from https://www.dynaexamples.com/implicit/Salzburg_2017

and

https://www.dynaexamples.com/implicit/Salzburg_2017/example_nonlinear_2

Using three different machines I get the same error, so I suspect it's a version issue.

I am running version R10.0, I'll see if I can possibly get an update to R10.2

forrrtl severe 157 Error messages
1 Reply
Negative Volume
Admin
(@negativevolume)

CEO

@djsburra Yeah that's strange. Let me know if the version works. I believe that this error can be traced back to something wrong with the contacts in the simulation. Try to remove all contacts and simulate and see if you get the same error. If you don't get an error then reintroduce the contacts to see which one is causing the issue. 

Page 2 / 4

Share: